welcome matt

Friday, March 03, 2006

some people call him the space cowboy

Warning: This is a venting type post; me just basically re-hashing my last two weeks.
If you haven't yet, go read my wife's post to our son. christine's blog It's really good and heartwarming and wise. Me and Jack are truly blessed.

Ever feel like God's teaching you patience? Like in every facet of your life, you're being taught patience? It has been an interesting couple of weeks since I blogged last.

A couple of weeks ago a complete stranger walked into my office, put his head in his hands and told me he was lost and he didn't have anywhere to go. I thought that was interesting since my office is on the eighth floor of a very random, kind of off the beaten path building. His name is Maurice and we've spent a lot of time together the past couple of weeks. He came with me to the men's retreat to GED classes, and we found him a job. A good Godly man who runs a steel company gave him a chance to work. All he had to do was show up. Well, the first morning I go to pick him up he doesn't show. He called me a few hours later and told me he was sorry but he was just too tired. I was furious, well as furious as I get. I knew exactly what I was going to say to him the next time we talked. I was going to lay into him about how I didn't have to be doing this, how he needed to show a little responsibility and initiative and basically just belittle him for a few minutes.

I kid you not, immediately God brought to my mind the parable of the debtor. The king forgives one man his incredibly large debts, and that man promptly goes out and has a man who owes him a few bucks tossed in jail. The king wasn't pleased, so I decided maybe I should try understanding and patience. I took him to work this morning, and I think he is going to stick with it. I know he knows he needs to.

That was lesson #1. Lesson #2. I took Maurice for his pre-employment drug-test. After I dropped him off at the clinic I was heading back towards work. I was cruising along in my lane when out of no where I got smoked from the side. I pulled into the shoulder and looked behind me to see a little white car spin twice and slam into the concret barrier in the median. She hit hard. I thought she was going be hurt. I turned my car off and ran back there to find her knocked clear into the backseat and not real sure of what happened. When the police and fire trucks and ambulances arrived we all talked found out she was in a rental car, she had no insurance, and hadn't opted for the rental insurance. The cops said it looks like she was driving way too fast, lost control and just slammed into me. The EMT's smelled alchohol. It was noon. I was a tad bit frustrated, but thankful that we were all ok, and that I was by myself, and didn't have Jack or Christine in the car. It would have been a little more difficult to exercise patience had they been with me when she hit me. That's been my last couple of weeks. Heading out of town this weekend. Sorry to dump all this on you, but hey that's what a blog is for.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home