welcome matt

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

woof

Read Mike's blog today about his dogs Moses and Joshua to understand why I'm writing about dogs today.

I've never been much of a dog person. I'm the first to admit it. In fact I've never been much of an animal person. To some this may make me cold and heartless. To me it just means that I don't have to vaccum up doghair, and hold back a slobbery mess every time the doorbell rings.

My parents got us a dog when I was a kid because I was deathly afraid of any type of canine, any size, breed or age. They bought a little cockerspaniel. A tiny little thing there is no way you could be afraid of. As it grew and I learned that dogs were not out to tear me limb from limb, my fear diminished. Taffy, our cocker, was a terribly stupid dog, and we weren't all that patient so she became an outside dog. We would feed her and go and play with her every now and then, but all she could really do was run. So she grew old in our backyard, and got cataracts and went blind.

While Taffy was still around but getting up there in doggy years we took in our cousin's dog Bear. They were moving to Houston and couldn't take Bear with them. Now Bear was hyper, very hyper, and he had an affinity for legs. Really he had an affinity for anything he could get his front paws on. Poor blind Taffy had to back herself into a corner to avoid being violated.

Christine and I don't have a dog, we live in an apartment and you have to pay a pet deposit just to have one. It's just not worth it to me. But if Jack's love of dogs is any indication, I'm sure someday we will have one. I don't like big dogs, and I really don't like little yappy dogs. Any suggestions for a good medium size dog, that is smart and easy to train? No rat terriers, no dachsunds, no labs, no cockerspaniels, and definitely no American Huskies(Bear).

3 Comments:

  • Brandon and I never had dogs when we were growing up. Maybe some day we'll be mature enough to get one. Unfortunately, I don't have any doggy advice, but I do have a funny quote from Christine about 2 years ago...."Matt and I talked about getting a dog, but we decided it was too much responsibility. Then we found out we were pregnant." And Jack was the cutest little dog at Halloween I've ever seen!

    By Blogger Kate, at 12:18 PM  

  • no dachsunds...oh, matt just take a knife to my heart! Okay I know they can be annoying, and have pee problems when they get excited, and yes maybe they look like hot dogs, but matt you must admit Mollie is one special dog. Man, you must hate coming over to the in-laws-it can be like a pound at times. And I swear my dad is like the dog whisperer or something! Oh, and going off Kate's comment-you and tine need to be careful about talking about dogs again...
    love ya,
    em

    By Blogger Emily, at 1:39 PM  

  • Tra's parents have a Cairn Terrier (like Toto on the Wizard of Oz, but theirs is white and actually also named Toto). He is the GREATEST dog around kids. He has let Hayley literally lay on him and pull his ears, etc. He's pretty laid back except for when someone is at the front door or when there is a squirrel on the fence in the back yard. :) We've also looked at Yorkshire Terriers. Similar story to you guys---it was right before we found out we were pregnant with Hayley and we decided to have a kid instead of a dog. Are you guys as glad as we are that you didn't end up getting the dog??

    By Blogger Shelly, at 8:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home