welcome matt

Thursday, March 24, 2005

holey gray matter

I think I may have rotted my brain out by watching Disney Afternoon everyday from 3:15 to 5:00 during my kiddy years. They were great shows, Rescue Rangers, Talespin, Ducktales, Darkwing Duck, all great great cartoons. But the fact that I would sit and drink hot Dr. Peppers and eat Lay's and Ruffles for two hours of perfectly good afternoon has significantly shortened my attention span.

So now I am going to attempt to remedy that. I have decided to become a reader. It's hard because I have a history of nodding off after a couple of pages without pictures, but there are a few books that I have been wanting to read for a while, and now I have two of them, Blue Like Jazz, and God's Politics. I am going to read them even though they don't have pictures because I want to learn. Ask me about them the next time you see me, that way I will have to read them.

4 Comments:

  • I am glad that you are reading those books, but I am still happy that you won't mind watching cartoons with Jack.

    By Blogger christine pinson, at 1:50 PM  

  • books on tape do it for me- I read lots of books without ever turning pages... keeps me from nodding off on the road. I dont think cartoons on tape would work, though.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 8:03 PM  

  • There is a common denominator between all the brilliant men and women that I have ever known or heard of...they were all well read. They were and are voracious readers and read a wide range of book that push them to stretch and grow.

    That's the way it's been all throughout history, the literate held the power of wisdom, understanding, and knowledge. I imagine that's probably the way it will be forever. Probably because a writer is given more time to develop their ideas than a TV show or even a movie for that matter. I mean aren't most movie scripts only like 150 pages (triple spaced).

    I am not a reader. I am a scanner (the internet exascerbates this tendency). I like books, if I can let myself get into them. I haven't tried the books on tape route too often, but perhaps that might be a way to widen my exposure. I admire your dedication to change, and perhaps I will become motivated to do the same.

    By Blogger J-Wild, at 8:26 PM  

  • Matt the good news for you is Blue Like Jazz does have pictures. There are two sets of cartoon drawings for you to look at. It is pretty easy to stay awake in this book though, it is great.

    By Blogger GSub, at 6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home