welcome matt

Friday, July 22, 2005

More thoughts

Just finished Searching for God Knows What by Donald Miller (author of Blue Like Jazz). Wow, it was really good. He talks about a lot of things, but mainly he focuses on a relational gospel. Treating the gospel less like a checklist you go down to insure your salvation, and more like a love story between a completely holy and pure creator, and a filthy, lowly peasant who keeps turning his back on the only thing that can complete him.

Do we treat the gospel that way? As I get older I look back and think the reason I became a Christian (besides having grown up in a Christian home) is because I didn't want to go to hell. That's a good reason, but it's missing the most beautiful part, that even though I am covered in the dirt and grime of sin, God loves me, and wants to be with me, wants to walk with me and comfort me, and that because I want to be with him too we're united for eternity. The more I walk around congratulating myself for not being hell-bound the more I miss out on a beautiful relationship with God and with those around me.

1 Comments:

  • i feel like we spend so much time trying to look like we dont NEED Jesus, when the only way to let him save you is to let yourself been seen as someone who is so broken and NEEDY. We hate that, but it seems like only when we see ourselves in that role that we come to understand God's grace for us. Im pretty tired of trying to look "right", or "good". Im getting to a point where I really want to be needy, and I hope that is a good thing. Donald Miller is coming to OtterCreek this next month to speak- Im pumped- Be praying that its a great ministry opportunity!
    Thanks for your words and heart, bud- TJ

    By Blogger Unknown, at 2:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home